Sunday, May 1, 2011

Osama bin Laden

                This week I listened to This American Life. This week’s episode was about Iraq after the war. Most of the major violence in Iraq wrapped up about two years ago, now their trying to rebuild their country now that we’ve left. On Sunday, May 1st 2011, President Barack Obama announced to the that Osama Bin Laden had been killed in Pakistan and that his body was in US custody.  As I was writing this response, I exclaimed “Finally!” as I jumped out of my bed after hearing the news. A few minutes later after I ran across the hall to tell my friends, I came and sat back down at my computer to continue writing but I couldn’t help but feel bad for what I had just done. I have always believed that I was a good Christian person, one who would never wish death on another person. I was almost disgusted with myself that I had gotten so excited at the death of another person. Then it came back to me why I felt this way. I remembered about how many people’s lives were ruined or ended on September 11th.
                On that day nearly 3,000 people were killed in total and another 6,000 people were injured. This attack was set up by the terrorist organization al-Qaeda, which was run by Osama bin Laden. These attacks led to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in which many more people have died in.
After thinking for a little while though, I realized that we don’t have to celebrate the death of Osama bin Laden himself, but we can celebrate the end of his reign of terror and evil. Maybe now we can all truly start to rebuild our countries, our economies, our families, and our lives. Maybe this is the opportunity for the world to come together and make peace, so that none of us have to rebuild ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment